Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: ocd
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:24 am 

My father saved National Geographic's but no other popular magazines. I don't know why. They were stacked up against the wall of our one car garage. One did hear occasional jokes about the topless African natives. I do not know what became of this hoard. We are currently downsizing. I find it to be painless.
https://www.google.com/#q=national+geog ... 5&safe=off

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:50 pm 

Scientific American is giving me trouble. Old issues (not sure when they changed) use a slightly larger than standard paper size, which tends to foul up the duplex on my sheet feeder. I can't leave the thing to run unattended like I can with other magazines. Still it's kind of fun to watch pages go by that discuss places like East Pakistan and the USSR, and advertisements for four-function calculators that weigh less than 40 pounds and perform multiplication in only two steps.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:17 pm 

And the recruiting ads for MITRE Corporation. Don't forget about those.

The change in sponsorship is, I think, a big part of the explanation of why Scientific American is now little better than birdcage liner.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:20 pm 

Attachment:
los alamos.jpg
los alamos.jpg [ 1.24 | Viewed 94 times ]
This might amuse you - from October 1965 Scientific American

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:04 pm 

Actually, it depresses me a little. That was back when Los Alamos was still a scientific laboratory. And a first-rate one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:03 am 

Science from the 1990s is giving problems ; they seem to have used coated stock that slips under the feed rollers on the duplex pass. Always on the same spot on the page.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:41 pm 

A couple of useless observations:

Recent magazines no longer have bound-in or blown-in postcards to send to advertisers for more information; you're referred to their website instead.

It isn't clear if I can scan in magazines faster than they arrive in the mail.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:05 pm 

setnahkt wrote:
barisax wrote:
setnahkt wrote:
A sane person would bite the bullet and throw them out. Not being a sane person, I'm scanning them all in first.

Please tell us you have an automatic document feeder.

Yes; I break them down to individual sheets. It's somewhat touchy, though, and usually requires at least one manual intervention per magazine. Staple bound magazines are easy - pull the staples out then cut down the middle with a sharp knife. Perfect-bound magazines (where the pages are glued to a spine) are giving me minor problems; so far the best solution is to cut the back off with fine-pitch blade on a radial arm saw but that isn't perfect; it leaves part of the back pressed into the kerf cut on the saw table. I'm looking for a "circular knife", which is basically a circular saw blade with a sharp edge and no teeth. This seems to be what is used in the professional paper industry (it's also used in the meat-packing industry, where it's called a "heading saw"). Unfortunately there are plenty of places that will sell me them at wholesale but no retail source I can find. I need a 10" or smaller blade with a 5/8 arbor. I may end up building a special jig that will do the job with a conventional saw blade. Commercial magazine scanners use a guillotine cutter; I could probably build one of those but it seems like more trouble than it's worth. Setting it up in the living room would probably impress visitors, though.

Any crafting or sewing/quilting store will have not only the rotary cutter in several sizes but spare blades. You probably want a cutting board or something very soft, once you mess up the blade it is toast.

They are also great for making rags out of old clothes.

T-shirts: Lay out flat, slice across breast removing collar and armpits (which is why they are in the rag box amirite?) and then straight down the center. Two big soft square rags. Four smaller with a third cut across.

Jeans: chop off legs, slice off seam of both, and slice each leg in half or thirds. Good heavy rags.

the whole shebang with the straight edge (yes you need it to save on band-aids)
http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-95237097J ... 4M6QY94ZGQ

Last edited by Casper on Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:09 pm 

I've got too many of them for a small rotary cutter. I need something that will fit my radial arm saw.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:24 pm 

ohhhh I see

find a local printer, lots of little outfits that do fliers and business cards, and especially if they do customized scratch pads. They'll have a shear that should do 3-4 stacks of 10-20" in height. I bet they would do it for you, boxed, for less than any blade

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next