Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Neonicotinoid ban in EU
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:21 am 

Been there, done that, bought the souvenir T-shirt. Sympathize. Glad to see you back posting; please rant some more.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:47 am 

Piperonyl butoxide is banned? Really? :shock:

That's stupid to the dumbth power.

Quote:
Dumb it down baby, we still have a ways to go to the lowest common denominator.

But Wikipedia is working diligently on it. :twisted:

Okay, so the snark is because I went back and revisited the article on Wikipedia on comfort women, and it's clear the Japanese ultranationalists have finally worn down the resistance of the more sane editors. The article has a whole of of why the comfort women aren't to be believed and they were all just ordinary professional whores.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:21 am 

KGB wrote:
Piperonyl butoxide is banned? Really? :shock:

That's stupid to the dumbth power.

Whoops, a little too far over to the rant side so I gave the wrong impression. Piperonyl butoxide is not banned but it is not allowed under organic standards - OMRI and many others including those governing organic production where I live. It's a chemical, doncha know? And pyrethrins without a synergist of some sort just really don't work.

I should also clarify that pyrethins without the synergist do get some kill, just not nearly as much as folks think so you end up with multiple applications instead. Plus pyrethrins spit out at around 1500 on the LD50 and there are at least a couple of synthetic pyrethroids that are less toxic, down in the range of 4000. 1500 doesn't particularly worry me but if we're arguing toxicity, LD50 is really our major basis for comparison. We can talk breakdown products, degradation, etc but I don't think if we can't get to LD50 we're going to get beyond it instead.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:16 pm 

A congresscritter is introducing legislation to ban neonicotinoids and has started an online petition:
http://org.credoaction.com/petitions/tell-congress-stop-the-pesticide-that-is-killing-bees?sp_ref=5014557.4.300.f.1291.2&source=fb_share_sp
He includes the argument that "the Europeans have already banned it", as well as that the EPA investigation could take as much as 5 years.

I'm all for petitions, but there is something to be said for due process.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:10 am 

barisax wrote:
A congresscritter is introducing legislation to ban neonicotinoids and has started an online petition:
http://org.credoaction.com/petitions/tell-congress-stop-the-pesticide-that-is-killing-bees?sp_ref=5014557.4.300.f.1291.2&source=fb_share_sp
He includes the argument that "the Europeans have already banned it", as well as that the EPA investigation could take as much as 5 years.

I'm all for petitions, but there is something to be said for due process.

It'll be really cool when we ban all the pesticides cuz there won't be any friggin' crops to pollinate any more. :(

Maybe the media should report on all the pesticides that are used within the hive to control mites and other annoying pests of the bees themselves. Not that they'd have a deleterious effect on the bees. Nooooooooooo. Not possible.

Jackasses. :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:35 pm 

Nature 30 July 2015
Seven Days
Pesticide ban lifted
The UK has lifted a ban on neonicotinoid pesticides under emergency rules, to deal with on outbreak of cabbage stem flea beetles on oilseed rape.