Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Facebook
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:54 pm 

Recent Facebook posts. Robert Wilson - According to Richard Muller; Now: The Physics of Time p45, our ecological leaders "...want us to minimize entropy". (Energy is automatically conserved). Muller includes material entropy in his discussions.

Robert Wilson - But p291 - "Civilization is built on the local decrease in entropy". An interesting book. Excellent look at the weirdness of modern physics.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:49 am 

BTW, speaking of social media sites, does anybody else follow TL;DR at YouTube?

(BTW, I'm on Facebook, so friend me, already - since it's just us here, the name is Ceridwen Keeley.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:33 pm 

Sorry to hear about Bill. I wish him well.

The Facebook idea sounds good. My wife would probably still think it weird that I converse with complete strangers (though somewhat infrequently here). But at least there will be some faces.

The upshot would be more traffic, and possibly expansion of the group.

I know squat about web pages or hosting websites. I could reach out to a local skeptics group...I'll bet someone there might be interested. Perhaps they could host it on their website. Only catch is I don't know how long I'll be in this area. Work is a bit topsy-turvey. Also, they are not fond of deities, which might be an issue for some.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:01 pm 

barisax wrote:
Sorry to hear about Bill. I wish him well.

The Facebook idea sounds good. My wife would probably still think it weird that I converse with complete strangers (though somewhat infrequently here). But at least there will be some faces.

The upshot would be more traffic, and possibly expansion of the group.

I know squat about web pages or hosting websites. I could reach out to a local skeptics group...I'll bet someone there might be interested. Perhaps they could host it on their website. Only catch is I don't know how long I'll be in this area. Work is a bit topsy-turvey. Also, they are not fond of deities, which might be an issue for some.

There's really nothing stopping me from hosting a Debunkers-type site at the web host I use for my geology blog. The problem is that Bill has the registration for debunkers.org and the password to the archives, and he's been too ill to pass that information along to me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:02 pm 

So, using one of those crawler things to save the site as-is would be fine? I just hope it won't ever be necessary. Hope Bill gets better!

(BTW, I'm on Facebook, so friend me, already - since it's just us here, the name is Ceridwen Keeley.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:02 am 

Steve Milloy had an early involvement with debunkers (junk science). https://junkscience.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:57 pm 

If there's a good way to record the archives off the Internet, great. Bill told me back in March that he'd renewed the various registrations for a year, so we have some time (until next March, to be precise) to figure something out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:53 am 

I believe that I first joined 1n 1999. Posts from those early years may have been permanently lost during a reorganization.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:13 am 

That's a lot of lee-way. :)

Okay, novice me is trying not to quote from this pdf file (link). It goes on and on, but only for 15 pages, and has a neat summary at the end. Here goes:

1) Client-side archiving: There are websites that send a 'bot around to archive other sites. It starts at the highest-level page and follows links until it reaches the end of what it can follow. This is the easiest way of doing it. The 'bot has problems with 'picklists' - never heard of such a thing until this pdf, but browsing around, it looks like this means a drop-down menu where you can only pick one thing. The 'bot also has trouble with things hidden behind forms, and of course, doesn't collect what isn't available to the public.

2) Transaction-based archiving: Needs access to the server. The 'bot only gathers up what is viewed, from the most-often to the least, so pages that aren't viewed a lot aren't archived. I don't think this is what we want.

3) Server-side archiving: Archives from the server, so needs server's owner's permission. This has the advantage of gathering up everything, including things the public never sees. Just having the codes doesn't mean you can recreate dynamic pages, you need to recreate the 'same environment with the same parameters' as the original site. Dynamic pages are pages where something on the page changes often instead of remaining static. As a message board, this site is dynamic. Clue, from PC Net (link), is to look at the URL. If you see the initials '.php', ' '.asp,' or '.jsp,' it's probably dynamic. I'm looking at the URL for this response page. '.php' is up there.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think that, if we want to continue posting on this particular board, we'd want Option 3, but it would be difficult to make it work in a different environment. If we're okay with just archiving while creating a new message board for longer posts, like the 'Journals as of...' and the book review section, then either Option 1 or Option 3 look like they'd work.

Best option, not addressed in the .pdf linked above, is to follow through with KGB taking over the site from Bill. That may or may not be possible. I hope it is.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:28 pm 

Facebook doesn't seem to be well-suited for longer posts - like, say, book reviews. Facebook groups have a "file" section, where you can put longer things (including photographs and videos); I'm not sure how much is allowed.