Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: ocd
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:32 pm 

You're certainly correct. I'm a geek, though, and would rather cobble together an inferior and potentially dangerous solution that I did myself than have someone do it for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:09 pm 

Purchase a used deli-meat slicer. Perfect blade for the job, you can adjust the thickness of the cut, and you could by a box of blades wholesale, which you know you'll use. Periodically sharpen them as needed.

As payment for my consulting, I'll accept beer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:44 am 

Hmmm. What size arbor do the blades take? There's a device used in slaughterhouses that probably has the kind of blade I want; it's called a "heading saw".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:41 pm 

setnahkt wrote:
Hmmm. What size arbor do the blades take? There's a device used in slaughterhouses that probably has the kind of blade I want; it's called a "heading saw".

I can certainly respect the desire to proudly chop your fingers off using something you devised on your own. That being said, and considering what might be available in your shop at work, if you want just a plain blade rotary cutter, could you just shape a skill saw blade using a bench grinder and some cutting/honing tools and make a smooth sharp blade? I'm thinking you could anneal it and then treat it with cyanide around the edge to harden it, and then give it a final sharpening.

Because its not just how dangerous the contraption is, it is also the inherent danger in the manufacturing process :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:20 pm 

Bought a Fujitsu Ix500 scanner, which is more than 10 times as fast as my Scanjet 5900 and is much better about double feeding sheets. (Doesn't necessarily do it less often but gives you a warning and stops when it does). Can handle the problems, like older Scientific American and Science. Still use the Scanjet periodically for damaged pages and odd sizes (British Museum Magazine). My backlog is no longer broken down magazine waiting for scanning but intact magazine waiting for breakdown.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:24 am 

Bought an industrial paper guillotine for perfect-bound magazines. Works great although somewhat difficult to adjust properly, and I have a curious desire to find some French aristocrats.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:30 pm 

setnahkt wrote:
Bought an industrial paper guillotine for perfect-bound magazines. Works great although somewhat difficult to adjust properly, and I have a curious desire to find some French aristocrats.

I don't find that curious at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:21 pm 

setnahkt wrote:

Your welcome ;)

You probably made someone on craigslist happy. I'm amazed at the stuff people are willing to buy. I took apart a cheap, old, rusty shed with a ton of holes in the roof, and put it out on craigslist with an accurate description of it's condition. It was gone in a week.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:00 pm 

I wondered what the guillotine was for ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:42 pm 

barisax wrote:
You probably made someone on craigslist happy.

No, I got it from FEMA.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next