Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wonder Woman
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:48 pm 

The first Warner Brothers DC Cinematic Universe movie that was good! Fourth time is the charm apparently.

Gal Gadot is fantastic, Chris Pine is great, they have wonderful chemistry and fantastic comedic timing. The humor is the first half or so of the movie is really well done, basically fish out of water (Pine on Themascyra, then Diana in London). They did a great job of making Diana innocent but not an idiot. She's very smart and well educated, just inexperienced with the world, but she learns quickly.

The last act kind of dragged, and I could see some of the Zach Snyder influence in it. Lots of the slow-down, speed-up action crap from The 300.

Final confrontation with the Big Bad was very reminiscent of Luke's temptation in Return of the Jedi. (Didn't help that MGB was quoting the emperor at me at the time).

I highly recommend it. Definitely worth seeing in the theater.

Post subject: Re: Wonder Woman
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:15 am 

Thanks, Dave. I've heard a few glowing reviews from people who know comics so I'm pretty stoked to see this one. Will take my two girls when I can.

BetterOffRacing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:51 pm 

I saw a post on Instagram that mocked the notion that people don't want strong female leads. They compared the recent Wonder Woman success with the remake of Ghostbusters. I LOL'd.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:42 am 

Probably spoilers.

Overall a decent movie. My biggest problem is they made her too powerful. I mean she's a god now who killed the god of war. She's probably stronger than Superman. My other issue is just maybe I'm too old and have seen the formula too many times, but what was probably supposed to be twists were pretty predictable. Her being the god killer, and the general was obviously not Aries. Still I think it was a worthwhile movie to see. It did have some good parts. When she stormed the german lines by herself to save the innocents, that was maybe one of the most heroic things I've seen in a movie in some time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:14 am 

Drakens wrote:
Probably spoilers.

... When she stormed the German lines by herself to save the innocents, that was maybe one of the most heroic things I've seen in a movie in some time.

Watch Hacksaw Ridge. Bring tissues.

BetterOffRacing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:55 am 

That lasso of truth violates the fifth amendment.

Very unamerican.

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:28 am 

We went to see it last night with our girls. Saw the enhanced MXC version which I guess means bigger and louder. Youngest and wifey-poo complained that it was too loud. Wifey-poo also complained that it was intensely boring in the middle bits. The boring bits were, I guess, necessary to build the history of the character but I could see cutting 15-20 minutes in there and having nearly the same result. As for the loudness, I agree it was loud but in a modern theater with umpteen speakers placed EVERYWHERE the sound was excellent. Our older girl and I loved the movie. I'll be buying it when it's released.

I also didn't mind BvS and bought it immediately upon release and have watched it a few more times in our theater.

BetterOffRacing.