Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Split
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:19 pm 

A couple of weeks late with this one, but it does tie in sort of a little to junk science, since the main character has Dissociative Identity Disorder, which I think is woo-woo.

M. Night Shayamalan movie, but don't let that put you off. Yes, he has his standard cameo, but it wasn't painful. I did get completely taken out of the movie a couple of times by his signature camera work (like pointing the camera directly down a spiral staircase because of reasons and art), and some of the "as you know" dialog where the psychologist was explaining things her patient had already told her so the audience would know what was going on, but all around a good thriller. I don't know why it got rated R since it's mostly gore-free. Creepy as hell though.

James McAvoy plays Kevin Crumb, a guy with 24 personalities. I think we saw 7 or 8 of them on screen, including one who was pretending to be one of the other ones, and he did a great job depicting them as essentially separate characters. I'm still convinced that DID is junk science, but in the movie's universe, it's real and each personality has different physical attributes (one is quite strong, another is a Type 1 diabetic, etc.)

M Night Shayamalan movie, so it had to have a twist at the end (which I'll shamelessly spoil below), but it was an "oh, interesting" twist rather than a "this changes everything" twist like in The Sixth Sense.

If you like thrillers, it's definitely worth a watch on Netflix, late at night preferably with a thunderstorm brewing outside.

Spoiler about the "what a tweeeest!" ending:

The final scene shows Bruce Willis in a diner hearing the news about Kevin Crumb's killing spree and the reporter referrs to him as "The Horde". Another patron compares him to that crazy terrorist who blew up a train 15 years ago. Willis says "Mr. Glass" -- so he's actually his character from Unbreakable. The movies are set in the same universe, so Split isn't just a horror movie, it's a villain-origin story. Surprisingly clever for MNS, for once.

[I knew that twist ahead of time, so I watched Unbreakable before going. It should have been called Unwatchable because I struggled to keep awake.]

Post subject: Re: Split
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:57 pm 

You may be surprised to hear that I rather enjoyed Unbreakable.

Post subject: Re: Split
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:26 pm 

Not really. I understand the appeal of it, and I can see how others would like it. I just found it tedious. Individual shots lingered too long, scenes went on WAY too long. Why Bruce Willis and his wife were on the outs wasn't explained. I realize that it didn't strictly need to be explained since it was just a slice-of-life thing that wasn't relevant to the plot, but it made me not care about the characters.