Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What, Nobody's Done 'Ghostbusters: Answer The Call' Yet?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:35 am 

I am shocked! Shocked beyond belief. So shocked that I keep on hitting '@!' when I mean to hit '!'.

We wouldn't have watched it if it weren't for an Amazon promo charging only $0.99 for any movie until... I think it's Jan 23. Link. After their negative and insulting promotion campaign, neither of us wanted to give them a cent. Still, I was curious about this movie that had everyone in such an uproar, so I figured that, maybe, 99 of those little copper (or is it copper-coated zinc now?) slugs would be all right. It isn't going to put them over the top on box office and revenues. Long review follows.

We rented the extended cut, so this is about that. Can't answer for the theatrical release. We had the luxury of pausing it if we needed to (we didn't) and of free snackage with no long lines, so a big win-win right there. Since it was still technically a holiday, we had our holiday cheer as well.

It was all right. If it hadn't been for the negative campaign, we might have seen it sooner. Not in a theater, since it would take something spectacular to get me into one, but that goes for the husband as well. He only watched it because it was the one I wanted.

He got a few chuckles out of it, three or four more than I did. No belly laugh moments, no dogs and cats living together. Instead of malevolent natural forces, there is a mortal villain, who isn't that bad. Since the movie wants to be a female empowerment movie, he was a male loser geek who was teased all his life and now wants revenge. He is contrasted with the loser geek females who have gotten past their teasing, and at least one who is still getting past her ill-treatment. If they hadn't put some minor digs at males in this (and for the life of me, I can't recall one offhand, I just know they were there) they might have done a little more with this character among others. (Okay, there is one, but it went by so quickly that I'm still not sure I heard right - when Villain is talking to Heroines, he mentions that there are other angry entities, all male, who are out for revenge. I mean, that tiny little 'all men' just whizzed by so quickly I'm not sure that's really what he said.)

A passable light-weight movie that you could enjoy but whose details will escape you almost immediately. The opening scene, a haunting at an old mansion open to the public, was decent. Can't comment on the science, but whatever they were doing worked in the world they lived in. They could have done a few things differently and had a much better movie, such as keeping it in the original universe and have a 'passing the torch' story. The cameos were all right. Everyone but Rick Moranis shows up at some point. The extended cut has some musical numbers - nothing long and drawn out, but they're there. I wouldn't recommend spending a lot on it, but if it's cheap and you're in the mood for a light movie, it's okay.

(Character review in comments because I have a beef with Melissa McCarthy's character.)

(BTW, I'm on Facebook, so friend me, already - since it's just us here, the name is Ceridwen Keeley.)

Post subject: Re: What, Nobody's Done 'Ghostbusters: Answer The Call' Yet?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:36 am 

The promised / dreaded character review:

The characters: Erin (Kristin Wiig) is a professor at (?) Columbia University who is up for tenure. Her school friend Abby publishes a book they wrote back in the day without informing her, which leads to problems. A video finishes off her hopes for tenure and her job. She is the insecure one of the group, taking some neglect from her boyfriend, and kissing 'butt' in ways that would make CPL Agarn cringe. She's the one who is still getting past her ill-treatment.

Abby (Melissa McCarthy) is, I suspect, supposed to be a positive character. I didn't see her that way. She published a book without informing her co-author (did she want to keep the revenue for herself?), and when that co-author, Erin, calls her out on it, instead of offering to remove Erin's name, she badgers her because she needs a new refrigerator. She badgers her into going on their first ghost hunt by promising to, maybe, pull the book from sale. She uploads a video of Erin that is sure to get her fired. I think that's supposed to be a good thing because now they're the Ghostbusters (they have a longer name, but no one but Erin uses it) but I thought that, with passive-aggressive friends like Abby, Erin doesn't need any more enemies.

Holtzman (Kate McKinnon) is quirky. If what I read is correct, she was supposed to have a lesbian subplot of crushing on Erin, but Sony asked them to tone that down. Some vestiges remain. She's the tinkering genius who comes up with their gadgets. Some of the gadgets are pretty cool. I want her sunglasses.

Patty (Leslie Jones) is our Everyman. The trailers make her look like a stereotypical black woman, but the movie makes her a loud New Yorker. I liked this character. She had the most natural reactions to the paranormal, imo.

Kevin (Chris Hemsworth) is the dumb blond secretary who can't answer a phone without prompting and who covers his eyes when he hears loud noises. He gets to expand his performance, and it looks like his character gets something from his subplot by the end. Not development, exactly, but something.

Supporting cast: Meh. Stock characters that worked in this universe.

(BTW, I'm on Facebook, so friend me, already - since it's just us here, the name is Ceridwen Keeley.)