Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:11 pm 

I thought it was going to be The Hunger Games IN SPACE!. Instead, it was Unnecessary Cameos: The Movie. Seriously, I wondered if J.J. Abrams directed it because of all the fan service.

I'll give them credit for the overall plot -- it wasn't nearly as contrived as the trailers make it out to be. There was a logical reason the Rebellion recruited Jin Urso (spelling however), and the progression from "we need you to talk to Forrest Whittaker" to "we're going to go steal the Death Star plans" made sense.

Visuals were really good, the final act battle scenes were also really good.

Guy sitting three seats over fell asleep during all the talky scenes. I sympathized because I really didn't care about any of the characters since I knew they would be [spoiler] dead by the end of the movie. (Oh, come on, don't look at me that way, it's a 40 year old spoiler).

I kept getting distracted. First distraction was the score. I usually don't notice music in movies that much, which is kind of the point; it's supposed to affect your emotions without drawing attention to itself. This, though... It would start with a couple of familiar chords, so my brain started following along with the music that I've known for decades, then it'd veer off into a different tune. It was just jarring.

The other distractions were the ridiculous cameos. There was one scene near the beginning where the Rebels were having some sort of meeting, and the music swelled for a dramatic push it to reveal Jimmy Smits. Then a couple of scenes later Peter Cushing showed up. He looked surprisingly good for someone who has been dead 20 years. The CGI on him was pretty flawless.

Those cameos were okay, because the characters actually played a part in the plot. The other cameos had me rolling my eyes. The "he doesn't like you! I don't like you either!" guys bumped into Jin for no reason, and actually didn't make sense because they should have been killed right after that scene, not somehow teleported to the cantina at Mos Eisly. Jimmy Smits had a line referring to the Jedi friend who served him well during the Clone Wars (eyes rolling). R2D2 and C3PO pop up for one line (eyes rolling, audibly scoffing).

The final scene ended with a rebel aboard the Tantive IV handing a disk to a woman in a hooded white robe. I prepared to scoff again as she turned around. Instead I flinched and cowered back in my seat, because the CGI young-Carrie Fisher creeped the hell out of me. "What is wrong with your faaaace?" Major uncanny valley action with that. i guess they blew the CGI human budget on Peter Cushing.

Matinee, or wait for Redbox.

Post subject: Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:52 am 

Thanks, again, Dave. My overly geeky FB friends were all freaking out about it, so it's good to have a different perspective. Methinks I'll wait for Netflix or a 3D Blu-ray.

BetterOffRacing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:32 am 

scoob5555 wrote:
Thanks, again, Dave. My overly geeky FB friends were all freaking out about it, so it's good to have a different perspective. Methinks I'll wait for Netflix or a 3D Blu-ray.

If you're not a massive Star Wars nerd there is no real hurry to see the flick.

It's good but not as good as all the crap on social media would have you believe. I think Dave's review is actually really hitting the nail on the head. Some of it well done. A plot reasonably well thought out and they get you to care about characters that really are pretty much disposable when it comes right down to it.

The cameos felt mostly forced to me and rather unnecessary. I did like the ending but yeah tighten it up a bit. Excellent comment about the music - familiar and then suddenly somewhere else entirely.

It's worth seeing if you're into the genre. It's far better than the prequel trilogy but I imagine bamboo under the fingernails fits that category as well (my nephew sent me a 90 minute edit of the prequel trilogy that was actually quite enjoyable - almost devoid of dialogue). Makes you care enough about the characters but yeah, sucks to be a Bothan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:42 pm 

I wonder what the ethical and financial implications were for the necromancy involving Peter Cushing. Does his estate get paid for it? It's not like they were reusing old footage. Also, will they make the next movie about Young Han Solo with a waxwork CGI version of Harrison Ford circa Raiders of the Lost Ark? /shudder

Quote:
Makes you care enough about the characters but yeah, sucks to be a Bothan.

That was my biggest problem with the movie -- I didn't care about any of the characters; they were so bland and forgettable. The only death that actually affected me was the robot.

Incidentally, the Bothans were from Return of the Jedi -- they stole the information that the Emperor was going to be at the new Death Star construction facility. They didn't have anything to do with stealing the original plans. [I only know this because I read another review where someone made a "where were the Bothans?" snark, and someone in the comments did an "ACTUALLY,..." correction.]

Did you notice how many scenes from the trailers didn't make it into the movie? "This is a Rebellion? I rebel!" and several portentous monologues from Che Guevarra, I mean Saw Garrero. Red Letter Media's review had a montage of "NOT IN THE MOVIE" scenes that was about a minute long.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:50 am 

Took the Girls to see it. Mostly slept.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:03 pm 

The CGI actors creeped me out. The start of the movie was a grand mash of plot lines but then it settled down and became a pretty good movie.