Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Logan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:26 pm 

Twentieth Century Fox executive: "Hey, those DC movies were grim dark and awful, let's do that with the X-Men franchise!"

That's pretty unfair of me, because it had a good plot and excellent acting, whereas the DC movies had neither. After X-Men Apocalypse I wished for a smaller character piece movie, so this was my punishment. Good grief was this a dour and depressing movie. I left the theatre feeling drained, but not in a cathartic way, more of a "I'm glad that's over" way.

Setting: In 2029, there are very few mutants left in the world. Wolverine is driving a limo to make money. With the help of Calaban, he's keeping Charles Xavier safe just south of the Mexican border. Charles has dementia. Calaban is an albino so can't stand the sun. And Logan is getting old - his claws malfunction, he's got a hacking cough and he doesn't heal very rapidly. So there's a good idea of the tone of this whole thing.

Spoiler free Plot: Logan and Charles rescue a 10-year old girl who (along with several other children) escaped from an illegal genetic experiment facility in Mexico City. She's got the same healing, claws, adamantium bones, and fighting skills as Wolverine. They take her on a cross-country trip to find Eden, an alleged safe place in North Dakota. They're persued by a one-dimensionally evil mercenary type bent on stopping them at all costs.

Logan spends most of the movie in some sort of physical distress, either coughing like he's got the consumption or bleeding from multiple gunshot wounds. It just gets old. Charles actually is very old, and occasionally loses control of his brainular powers.

The scenery was good, the action scenes were very actiony and gory as hell (R-rated for a very good reason). The little girl actress was decent. I certainly hope that a lot of her gruesome kills were done with a digital double, otherwise she's in for some nightmares. I just felt disengaged for most of the movie because of how depressing it all was. Even the ending was pretty hopeless.

I don't recommend this movie.

Semi-spoilers to follow:

Evil scientist man shows up at one point, explaining that the reason mutants had disappeared was that he had figured out how to prevent mutations by modifying the world's food supply. So GMOs are the reason we don't have X-Men. Damn you, Monsatan! He says that the kids were intentionally bred mutants, who were going to be turned into soldiers, but the experiment was a failure and they all needed to die. My question for the scientist man: what were you thinking when you bonded adamantium to the skeleton of a 10 year old girl? What happens when she hits puberty? Can she even grow, considering what you've done to her skeleton, or is she supposed to stay pre-pubescent?

Post subject: Re: Logan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:55 am 

Well, I've heard from some fanbois that it wasn't so bad. But I'm not that into those movies, so I guess I won't bother until it comes to Netflix or wherever.

And Dave, you're totally missing the point of having a 10-yr old mutant - she's in the wings for when Logan dies next Wolverine movie. Must keep the franchise going, despite the aging stars... They'll explain the puberty stuff with some diatribe somewhere in that movie since she'll be mid-teens by then. Or maybe this depressing movie will halt it more naturally. I can't say I care either way. ;)

BetterOffRacing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:25 pm 

Quote:
And Dave, you're totally missing the point of having a 10-yr old mutant - she's in the wings for when Logan dies next Wolverine movie. Must keep the franchise going, despite the aging stars...
Both Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart have said this is their last X-Men related movie, and given the events of it, that seems to be the case.

I suppose they could appear in flashbacks or alternate time lines or some such, and given the digital thaumaturgy Disney pulled with Peter Cushing in Rogue One, I wouldn't put it past the studio to keep using their likenesses.

Who really knows -- there wasn't a post-credits teaser, so maybe they'll give the X-Men a rest for a few years and reboot the entire franchise.

There was a pretty clever Deadpool scene right at the start of the movie: Wade Wilson sees a guy being mugged, hops into a phone booth to change into the Deadpool costume (compete with John Williams' Superman music) -- and takes too long to change. They'll probably make a few more Deadpool movies just to keep the rights to X-Men from reverting to Marvel.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:23 am 

Indeed, Deadpool 2 is what I'm waiting for.

Just saw the first teaser for Star Wars VIII this morning. Christmas 2017.

BetterOffRacing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:40 pm 

Surprise, I really liked it. :D