Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: two books on the 2017 eclipse
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:22 pm 

This one is essentially an evolved duplicate of the “eclipse circulars” formerly issued by the US Naval Observatory. There are elaborate tables of Besselian elements that allow to compute circumstances for the eclipse for any location (and they are really overkill, since there are also tables for every state along the path that can easily be interpolated for a particular location). There’s a detailed diagram of the lunar periphery if you’re planning on trying for the diamond ring or Bailey’s Beads. The location of maximum duration (where the umbral shadow is the largest, near Carbondale, Illinois) and the location of maximum eclipse (where the distance between the Moon and the Earth is at a minimum along the umbral centerline, near Hopkinsville, Kentucky) are not quite the same, due to the Earth’s oblateness and the exact shape of the Moon; however there’s only 0.1 second difference. There’s an atlas section, that includes maps of the entire path plus detailed (two page) maps for areas near major cities along the umbral path (Bowling Green, Charleston, Kansas City, Knoxville, Lincoln, Nashville, North Platte, St. Louis, although oddly not Idaho Falls or Caspar – presumably because the road network for those two cities isn’t dense enough to justify a more detailed map). There’s a section on viewing safety with transmission tables for various filter materials (and the note that there will be news stories about the dangers of unfiltered eclipse viewing, which inevitably convince people that it is somehow more dangerous to look at the Sun during an eclipse than otherwise). Another table gives exposure times for various ISO ratings, f-stops, and the particular feature to be photographed (partial stages, prominences, inner corona, outer corona). A map shows the sky during totality; Mars (M 1.8) and Mercury (M 3.3) will both be close to the Sun and Regulus (M 1.4) is only 1° east and will thus appear in longer exposure photographs of the corona. The climatology table shows expected cloud cover for 7AM and 2PM; for the morning the best spot is between Caspar and Riverton, Wyoming; for the afternoon it’s southeast Oregon. Since the eclipse will occur at about 11:34 MDT near Idaho Falls and about 11:44 near Caspar, expected cloud cover should be about the same.

The second book is a detailed road atlas of the entire eclipse path, on a larger scale than the maps in the first book (and with the advantage that local times are used rather than UTC). Again I’m somewhat torn as to location; choices are Idaho Falls and Caspar. Caspar is closer to me, and has a good road net, so last minute travel to avoid clouds is slightly more feasible. Idaho Falls is OK for travel north, south and west, but you quickly run into mountains (and have to leave the umbral path) if you need to head east. OTOH I’m heading up to Yellowstone after the eclipse and it’s faster to get there from Idaho Falls than Caspar. I’m trending toward Idaho Falls at the moment but will probably make a decision based on last minute weather.

Post subject: Re: two books on the 2017 eclipse
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:56 pm 

You remind me that I need to start getting my own plans in order. I'm inclined to take my chances with Idaho Falls as well, though availability of accommodations may tip it the other way. I haven't decided yet whether to spring for a hotel or plan on camping -- I'll certainly do the hotel if I can figure out a way for Cindy to come along.

Post subject: Re: two books on the 2017 eclipse
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:12 pm 

Reserved a spot on the BYU campus in Rexburg, Idaho.