Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Whole Foods
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:36 pm 

setnahkt wrote:
And yes, I am still a little annoyed by Daylight Savings Time.

I celebrate it as No Idea So Stupid Congress Can't Make It Stupider Day.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:56 pm 

An acquaintance posted on Facebook that she bought a paleo-diet cookbook. My first thought was "How big can that book possibly be?"

My second thought was that I should refrain from sharing that thought on Facebook.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:24 am 

395+ pages? Link. Sale site, with those cute, fast drawings type of video. Video with sound.

Editing to add: when you back out, the page will ask if you really want to leave, and the voice-over guy starts out with, 'Hang on a minute!' (more desperate than demanding) but, if he says anything else, I don't know, because I confirmed I wanted to leave. Bossy! :!:

(BTW, I'm on Facebook, so friend me, already - since it's just us here, the name is Ceridwen Keeley.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:39 pm 

Quote:
I snagged the link in the paleodiet part quoted, because the husband is still on his stupid diet.

My trainer at the gym was on the paleo diet for several months. He said he’d finally had enough of it because he was tired of “having to take a s*** five times a day.”

I personally lost 40lb in 4 months on a (non paleo but similar) low carb diet. But I was also quite sedentary during that time. Once I became more active, I had to have carbs or I’d simply run out of energy halfway through a workout. I’m not sure how your husband can combine lots of running with no carbs; I’d fall down in a flop sweat at 5 laps.

Quote:
I drink diet sodas, use fake sugar in my coffee and tea, and he says, 'Sugar alcohol.' Like it's a bad thing.

You just be tolerant to sugar alcohols. Read the customer reviews on Amazon for sugar-free gummy bears for the horrific experiences of people who aren’t tolerant.

Quote:
An acquaintance posted on Facebook that she bought a paleo-diet cookbook. My first thought was "How big can that book possibly be?"

I asked my trainer if it had a section on preparing roadkill, since our ancestors weren’t above eating carrion. Thankfully he laughed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:35 pm 

Husband says he can have 36 somethings of carbs... checking email to a friend explaining things... okay, 35g of carbs a day, since you can't avoid them completely. The dressing he uses has 1g of carbs per serving, for instance. He runs, he says he's fine, and he attributes the diet and running to making his back better (he was advised to get new disks inserted - don't blame him for not wanting them, they go through the front of your throat, move everything aside, and perform surgery, or magic, or something, on your spine) but, that sounds like snake oil to me. I think it has to do with replacing sugar with ketones, or something. I don't know why he doesn't drop, either. I don't know why he's suddenly shunned yardwork, but that octo-bush needs a massive overhaul.

I've read a really horrific description of the sugar-free Gummies. Oy! So, it's the sugar alcohol? I thought it was something else. Had to be - the only thing that vaguely gives me the same reaction is my morning coffee, but it isn't anything like described (and is probably a good thing - isn't regularity a good thing?), and, more similar, a tummy bug. Oh, and that time I had a colonoscopy - didn't help that my mother needed trundling to her doc and some other places the day before.

(BTW, I'm on Facebook, so friend me, already - since it's just us here, the name is Ceridwen Keeley.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

Low carb diets will put you into ketosis, you'll be burning fat for energy, not carbs. This increases the amount of circulating ketone bodies, used as energy sources.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:05 pm 

That's the point. Get rid of those nasty sugars our ancestors didn't live with, replace them with ketones, and become one with the caveman. :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:47 pm 

Maybe you could just drink MEK and avoid the middleman.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

The grim reaper solution?
:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:10 am 

:shock: I had to look that up.

Nnnnnnnn... That's okay. I think we'll opt for no MEK with our meals. Ethel's okay, maybe even Fred, but this Methyl person... no.