Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whole Foods
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:07 pm 

Is it really the temple of junk science?

I suspect political motivations.

Regardless, the comments section, it is an endless parade of stupid.

Post subject: Re: Whole Foods
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:27 pm 

Yes.

Quote:
If the Paleo diet helps you eat fewer TV dinners, that’s great—even if the Paleo diet is probably premised more on The Flintstones than it is on any actual evidence about human evolutionary history.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:24 am 

I snagged the link in the paleodiet part quoted, because the husband is still on his stupid diet. It's annoying. If we were to go out to eat, we couldn't, because those horrible restaurants serve sugary fruits and carb-rich potatoes and rice. I drink diet sodas, use fake sugar in my coffee and tea, and he says, 'Sugar alcohol.' Like it's a bad thing. He insists that our systems evolved to eat the way he eats, that fruits with high sugar content, and grains with all of those nasty carbs, were never part of our ancestral diets (or, they may have been, but not in any sort of quantity) and that eating all of those things is bad for us, just because we evolved to eat veggies, eggs and fatty meats. We should eat like our early ancestors, everything else be darned.

Can you tell I'm tired of this stupid diet of his? I think it's made him less sharp overall, and a tad bit more cranky and impatient. I'm also tired of his running obsession. That bush out in front, the one we used to occasionally call the 'octopus bush' because its tendrils grew out of the top of its head like a gorgon's hairdo, has started looking like a flock of octopi (or gorgons) holding a convention. He's too busy running, training for a race, or heading off for a weekend to participate in said race, to trim it (he's taller, and more steady with that electric scissor-knife of death than I am.) I don't know if the obsession followed the diet, or if the diet was an early symptom of obsession, but I'm ready to grab just about anything to prove him wrong. On bad days, I'm ready to sit on him and force-feed him Cheerios.

Your blogger sounds a bit like me, actually - sick and tired of the holier-than-thou spoutings of a nearby irritant.

/rant

(BTW, I'm on Facebook, so friend me, already - since it's just us here, the name is Ceridwen Keeley.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:46 am 

I'd try the paleo diet but I'm not sure I can eat a whole mammoth by myself.

I wonder why people don't think our intestinal flora has evolved since the Olduwan. If bacteria can evolve to eat nylon, Diesel fuel, and pentachlorophenol you'd think they could manage a glazed donut every now and then.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:54 am 

Vitugglan wrote:
I snagged the link in the paleodiet part quoted, because the husband is still on his stupid diet. It's annoying. If we were to go out to eat, we couldn't, because those horrible restaurants serve sugary fruits and carb-rich potatoes and rice. I drink diet sodas, use fake sugar in my coffee and tea, and he says, 'Sugar alcohol.' Like it's a bad thing. He insists that our systems evolved to eat the way he eats, that fruits with high sugar content, and grains with all of those nasty carbs, were never part of our ancestral diets (or, they may have been, but not in any sort of quantity) and that eating all of those things is bad for us, just because we evolved to eat veggies, eggs and fatty meats. We should eat like our early ancestors, everything else be darned.

/rant

Should we then perish at the same age that our early ancestors did? And which ancient ancestors are we emulating? The hunters and gatherers? Because there wasn't a whole lot of what we'd call a "vegetable" in its modern form during that era. Roots yes. Veggies? Not by a long shot.

I don't actually wholly disagree with the author, though he's clearly writing to get the feedback and has succeeded admirably. If I can find the energy, I'll write a long rant about organic food production and certain issues with it.

The thing that caught my eye though was one of the comments where an individual commented about farmers' markets being the best place to shop. Yeah, about that. Most of those "farmers" tend to be hobby farmers. I've been to a lot of places in North America and hobby farmers are hobby farmers. They have other jobs and they tend to not quite be up on the whole what's actually allowed under the regulatory system and what's not. A majority simply do not understand that products must be registered for use, on a specific target and labeled specifically on that crop. You want the highest risk category for pesticide exposures? You found it at farmers' markets.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:45 pm 

Should we then perish at the same age that our early ancestors did? And which ancient ancestors are we emulating? The hunters and gatherers? Because there wasn't a whole lot of what we'd call a "vegetable" in its modern form during that era. Roots yes. Veggies? Not by a long shot

Oh, but don't you know, we started dying younger when agriculture was introduced. <-- Please read that in a whiney voice. He said that once. I countered with previously unexposed soil demons... er, bacteria and such that live in soil but weren't encountered because we just didn't farm before, and the growth of less mobile societies because of it, which lent themselves to dominance of other groups, or submission by dominant groups due to increased trade, take-over, and tribute payments. (They covered that in beginning anthropology, thank goodness!) Haven't heard that one since.

I'm all up on the idea of us evolving along with our diets. I've joined one of those 'do your DNA' sites, and have found that one thing they trace is where specific mutations occurred in your genes. Some of these mutations are fairly recent - my particular maternal haplogroup, subgroup of yet another group (and so on) started something like 15,000 +/- years ago. These groups are all over the timeline, and, apparently, the map. (Wikipedia link.)

I don't see how going back to a supposed diet of few fruits and berries, more veggies, and fatty meats, could be accurate for each person. I mean, what if your group wandered around a tropical area with plenty of sugary fruits? How would this diet be anything like your ancestors'? I like the article linked above, because it asks those questions, and talks about the ancestors of gut bacteria, too. (Link to the one I'm talking about.)

(BTW, I'm on Facebook, so friend me, already - since it's just us here, the name is Ceridwen Keeley.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:13 am 

Well Whole Foods has good cheese. But the local one always seems not quite right; can't really say why. The huge assortment of homeopathic stuff is offputting for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:28 pm 

setnahkt wrote:
Well Whole Foods has good cheese. But the local one always seems not quite right; can't really say why. The huge assortment of homeopathic stuff is offputting for sure.

When we live in Boulder I used to go in there for meat - very nice meat counter. And cheese, yes. But the rest of the store was carefully merchandised with a dizzying array of overpriced imitations of the real thing - none of which I would willingly pay 50-100% more for...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:47 pm 

It happens that the Whole Foods and the Traders Joe in Santa Fe are right across the street from each other. I had business in Santa Fe yesterday and dropped by both on the way home. Traders Joe had the usual amazingly inexpensive Roquefort wedge, the European whole kernel bread I sometimes like for variety (its glycemic index is marginally lower than most whole grain bread, meaning still pretty high, which is why I indulge only occasionally) and some seaweed strips. Yeah, I know, but they're basically a low-calorie Doritos. Well, that tastes like seaweed, but there have to be tradeoffs somewhere.

They did not have the barley bread or coarse barley flour I hoped to find, though at least I got to talk to a perky young redheaded stocker. I am planning to cook an authentic mess of pottage with authentic 2000 BC-style unleavened barley bread for the education of my Sunday School class next week. Well, except that Jacob probably didn't season his with bay leaves and cilantro. I'm going to because I'm planning on eating it afterwards and plain lentils are hideous. They also did not have fresh lychees, which they sometimes do, and which I treat my wife to when they do. She lived 18 months in Taiwan and grew to love lychees and other tropical fruit. SWMBO thunked me atop the head when I got home and pointed out that lychees are not in season until June. Make that semitropical fruit.

Whole Foods had a bazillion homeopathic preparations (I regard it as the priciest bottled water aisle in the state), all kinds of purportedly unusually healthy bread, every conceivable purportedly unusually healthy breakfast cereal, every conceivable product to cleanse your bowels ("all your toxins are belong to us") but no barley bread or coarse barley flour. Didn't have xylitol either. I got home and my wife had found our old manual grain grinder; i ground up some barley, though not as coarse as I would have liked. Will have to do.

I had an audience. For some reason the cats found the grain mill fascinating.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:19 pm 

Vitugglan wrote:
...Oh, but don't you know, we started dying younger when agriculture was introduced. <-- Please read that in a whiney voice....

My SWAG would be if you are a hunter-gatherer you are either (1) healthy or (2) dead. Your tribe doesn't have the resources to care for the sick or injured so they get left for the hyenas. If you're an agriculturalist, you can accumulate a surplus that can be used to take care of those who can't work for a while until they heal. It can also be used to provide enough leisure for art, literature, music and science. (On the downside, there's also now something that can be taxed).

On this last, the classical explanation for the invention of the calendar is "so farmers know when to plant their crops". This makes little sense; I doubt that any ancient farmer needed a calendar date to know when to plant. This was especially true in ancient Egypt; you planted after the annual Nile flood went down. What the calendar did do was let bureaucrats in Waset or Ibtawy know when it was time to collect taxes. And yes, I am still a little annoyed by Daylight Savings Time.