Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegetarians at lower risk for death?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:27 am 

Gee, I thought it was 100% for them, too.

Leaving aside the snark about the headline: The study strikes me as shoddy.

Quote:
A newly published Loma Linda University study found that vegetarians had a 12 percent lower risk of death from natural causes than non-vegetarians, a researcher said Monday, June 3.

That's so low a relative risk that the likelihood of confounders is approaching the likelihood that vegetarians will, in fact, die.

Quote:
The latest findings from the Adventist Health Study 2, which follows 73,308 Seventh-day Adventists in the United States and Canada, were published in the Journal of the American Medical Association Internal Medicine. Researchers, who tracked deaths for six years, found significant benefits for those who avoid eating meat.

A relatively small, uncharacteristic population, so that it really doesn't surprise me that:

Quote:
The findings on overall mortality differed from another large-scale, long-term study, the EPIC-Oxford in Britain. That investigation did not find the same lower death risk among vegetarians, which may indicate some differences in Adventist vegetarians in North America that has yet to be explored, he said.

And then there's this:

Quote:
When it came to cancer mortality, the latest Adventist Health Study did not show a significant difference between vegetarians and non-vegetarians, Orlich said.

Vegetarians do benefit from cancer protection, though. According to earlier findings from the study population, they have less chance of developing cancer. Researchers have yet to know why, he said.

This shows a distressing willingness to discard studies that don't agree with the hypothesis, and give credence to those that do. A good scientist doesn't do this. A good scientist tries hard to prove himself wrong, not to prove himself right.

Post subject: Re: Vegetarians at lower risk for death?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:06 pm 

Loma Linda University? :?

Post subject: Re: Vegetarians at lower risk for death?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:11 pm 

Loma Linda University is a Seventh-Day Adventist educational health sciences institution... (that spells 'Seventh-day with a lower-case 'd.' I won't... just saying...) It's in Loma Linda, California. Link.

(BTW, I'm on Facebook, so friend me, already - since it's just us here, the name is Ceridwen Keeley.)