Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Double speak in discussing economics
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:48 pm 

In another forum, I was doing some googling on Argentina's current crisis. And I found this article from a left of center foreign affairs blog that had this hilarious lack of internal consistency:
Quote:
Argentina is heading toward its second economic crisis in just over a decade and national leaders are unwilling to publicly acknowledge that the country’s growth is unsustainable. Since the country’s economic collapse a decade ago, President Nestor Kirchner (2003-2007) and President Christina Fernandez de Kirchner (2007 – present) have allowed the national economy to function without interference or direction. Senior officials have refused to dictate economic policy because domestic markets have been expanding and strengthening independently. They defend their position by citing the nation’s cheap currency and continual trade surpluses.
(bold added by me)

Immediately following by these paragraphs:
Quote:
The reason for Argentina’s economic success is due to self-deception on the part of the national leadership. The international community has vocalized concern that it would be in Argentina’s best interest to slow down economic progress; however, these concerns were met with increased transportation and energy subsidies, as well as more funding being allocated for social programs. These policies were initially subsidized by the nationalization of private pensions, but, as spending continued to grow, the Central Bank began printing money.

Subsidies and spending increases are causing the Argentinian economy to lose nearly $2 billion per month and, unless the country’s export portfolio is diversified and strong relations are built with other countries, the only way in which Argentina’s economy will be able to grow is through stimulus spending, which will only create more inflation.
(bold added by me)

That's just a perfect example of a left of center economic "thinking".

Post subject: Re: Double speak in discussing economics
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:56 am 

I wonder which of the two is correct? My guess is that two or more authors wrote this diatribe and they apparently weren't on the same page of the liberal playbook.

BetterOffRacing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:09 pm 

Well, the first paragraph is obviously false.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:54 pm 

Another controversy Joe Scarborough and Paul Krugman http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/p ... Page2.html