Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: California - the home of the stupidest ideas on earth
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:18 am 

Under the principle that no idea is too stupid for California's to try to put a ballot initiative implementing it ....

Hey, kids! I know! Lets ban foreclosure!

The more evil part of me wishes that this would pass.

Post subject: Re: California - the home of the stupidest ideas on earth
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:44 am 

Well, this will be great fun to watch.

First, stating the obvious: If it passes and isn't struck down as unconstitutional, there will be no more mortgages sold in California. This in turn will mean very few houses sold in California, since few people can afford to pay cash for one. That in turn means the bottom falling out of the housing market. Which in turn means a huge boom in rental properties. Homes will be converted to rentals since it will be vastly easier to find renters than buyers. So, net effect of the law: Home ownership will be replaced by rental in California.

From there, it's hard to predict. If a law like this can hold up, the next step is to require governments to give free housing away, since it's a "fundamental right" they aren't allowed to "infringe." Or perhaps similar draconian rules will eventually be applied to rentals. The result of that will be for landlords to abandon their properties, leaving most housing in California owned by the state. Which explains how the free housing will be obtained. It will be incredibly crappy housing since people dont' take care of stuff they don't feel they really own -- and if you can't resell the "free" housing the government gives you, you don't really own it, and you know that at least at some gut level. Plus if you don't really own it, and can't resell it, you can't get a home equity loan for improvements.

I suspect the majority even of California voters are capable of understanding this, at least if someone takes the time to explain it patiently to them. Sowell might do it but I'm getting a growing sense he's running out of patience.

I don't doubt it can get the 800,000 signatures to get on the ballot. There are that many nut cases in the state. I'm less sure it can muster the votes to pass. If it does, the people of California will get what they deserve, good and hard, unless the courts bail them out of their own stupidity. Which, since they will mostly be California courts, is no sure bet. Even at the Federal level, there's an old joke about 9th Circuit Court ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:04 pm 

I don't doubt it can get the 800,000 signatures to get on the ballot. There are that many nut cases in the state.

Yeah, Berkeley, Hollywood, and those H'wood people are really good at persuasion.

(BTW, I'm on Facebook, so friend me, already - since it's just us here, the name is Ceridwen Keeley.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:04 pm 

To take it even further, since they aren't paying and there is no long er any real sense of ownership, anyone can live in anyone else's house at any time. All of California would become one great big hippie commune where what yours is yours and what's mine is yours too. Happy days!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:39 pm 

I think it's time for another war of secession between the states. California is full of peaceniks, anti-gun freaks and appeasers, so it would be easy to force it to secede.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:37 pm 

KGB wrote:
Well, this will be great fun to watch.

First, stating the obvious: If it passes and isn't struck down as unconstitutional, there will be no more mortgages sold in California. ...

Easy to fix. Another ballot initiative requiring all banks doing business in California to offer mortgages to all who apply. And then...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:41 pm 

How about cars? They could make an affordable car a fundamental right. Ban repos...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:14 pm 

Forget cars. What about beauty? Or talent?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:20 pm 

Oh, yeah. Free plastic surgery and botox. :o

(BTW, I'm on Facebook, so friend me, already - since it's just us here, the name is Ceridwen Keeley.)