Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: California dives off the deep end - Aloe
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:41 am 

I believe we've discussed California's Prop 65 law here previously. A quick recap: it's a law meant to identify and warn California residents about hazardous substances in their midst. The idea is to mandate warning labels on products containing listed chemicals to compel switching to non-hazardous components so the products wouldn't have warning labels. The law requires the OEHHA part of the CalEPA to add new substances to the list at least annually. Keeping in mind that the law has been around for almost 30 years now you won't be surprised that there are ~900 chemicals thereon - and the evidence for listing new substances gets thinner and thinner as the years go by. It should also be said that except for the most conscious consumers in California, the warning labels are so ubiquitous that no one even notices them any more.

So we come to April of 2015 when OEHHA nominates Aloe Vera to the list as a "Chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer", based on a long-term oral dosing study in rodents that the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) deemed acceptable for classification of Aloe as possibly carcinogenic in humans. To quote a famous columnist of yesteryear, "I am not making this up."

There was a comment period on this listing and more than predictably the response was pretty negative. And while reading some of the comments is enlightening, some of them make me question just how much of our society has even the remotest clue. About anything.

How I wish Laura was still around these parts to decimate this listing and mock OEHHA mercilessly for this and pretty much all of their recent additions.

BetterOffRacing.

Post subject: Re: California dives off the deep end - Aloe
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:57 am 

Yeah, the comments are pretty amazing.

Frankly, given what I know about the herbal supplement industry, I can't help but look at this decision on aloe vera and feel considerable Schadenfreude.

Post subject: Re: California dives off the deep end - Aloe
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:27 pm 

About damn time they started going after the natural stuff. There is precisely zero reason it should be exempt from teh stoopid.