Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New FDA Regulations for Spent Grain from Beer Brewing
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:40 am 

HotAir article.

Basically, beer brewers give their spent grains, after the beer has been, umm, brewed, to local ranchers to use as feed. It’s a win-win; the brewers don’t have to pay for disposing a waste product, and the ranchers get a free / cheap source of food for their cattle.

Quote:
The proposed rule would require makers of animal feed and pet food to be sold in the U.S.to develop a formal plan and put into place procedures to prevent foodborne illness.

Sounds like a reasonable plan, but apparently it’s cost-prohibitive. My question: is this an existing problem that needs to be fixed? Has there been a rash of foodborne illnesses either in the cattle themselves or in people eating the beef, that can be traced back to the brewers’ spent grain?

Post subject: Re: New FDA Regulations for Spent Grain from Beer Brewing
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:22 pm 

DaveL wrote:
Sounds like a reasonable plan, but apparently it’s cost-prohibitive. My question: is this an existing problem that needs to be fixed? Has there been a rash of foodborne illnesses either in the cattle themselves or in people eating the beef, that can be traced back to the brewers’ spent grain?

I'm guessing no.
OTOH, beer has been known to make scores of people suffer symptoms of acute food poisoning.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:40 am 

There was a thread a while back on the economics of ethanol biofuel. Some of the analysis of ethanol efficiency - the claim that biofuel ethanol consumes less fuel than it produces - made the assumption that waste from ethanol processing could be sold as cattle feed. If that waste now has to be certified and packed and regulated, do the economics change? Or, maybe to go back a step further, is the waste from biofuel ethanol actually being used for cattle feed or was that just an armwaving claim in the first place?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:26 pm 

There was an alcohol plant near Plainview TX I worked on that had huge mountains of spent grain that they could not give away as feed. This was in the early 90s. It dessicated in the west texas environment and became a hard unyielding mass even with a good front end loader. Aside from the issues with handling it, there really was nothing left nutritionally except maybe some fiber, and feedlots are not there for sustenance they are for final fattening.

Possibly they could mix it with manure to expand the volume of bagged fertilizer (feedlots are all about recycling if it means money) but the feedlots have mountains of manure that they already need to process, i don't think increased volume is going to add anything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:35 pm 

setnahkt wrote:

"a while" being operative, I remember that thread!