Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The EPA and enviromental groups in cahoots?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:17 pm 

Would anyone be surprised?

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/01/15/new-foia-emails-show-epa-in-cahoots-with-enviro-groups-giving-them-special-access/

Post subject: Re: The EPA and enviromental groups in cahoots?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:55 am 

No, I'm not surprised. Allow me to play a sort of devil's advocate for a moment, though.

The EPA is supposed to be "protecting" the citizens of the United States from horrible disaster by whatever means necessary.

Imagine that instead of the EPA and environmental groups it was the Department of Defense and groups like the VFW. In the analogy upper level bureaucrats at the DOD would be sending emails asking for support for various governmental programs which the DOD was convinced were necessary to protect the citizens of the United States from horrible disaster. (I don't know if the DOD does that sort of thing but I wouldn't be surprised).

The above IS NOT to be taken that I condone the EPA in this case, just that I MIGHT understand the kind of mentality involved.

As I've mentioned before, the low level people I've met at the EPA have generally been pretty decent folks. At my own level I didn't have much contact with higher EPA management but I've heard stories such as this.

Post subject: Re: The EPA and enviromental groups in cahoots?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:10 am 

Honestly Set, I'd be appalled. Gathering signatures for petitions? Comparing notes for talking points? That is purely political and they are not supposed to engage in politics. If the DoD did this, I'd want someone fired. No less so if the EPA did this.

Maybe I just can't run the analogy through. I can't think of a single example of the DoD doing this that would seem right.

Nor the FCC, FAA, etc.