Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FDA proposes new rule on partially hydroxynated oils
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:16 pm 

NYT coverage for what its worth.

Quote:
The agency has proposed that partially hydrogenated oils, the source of trans fats, no longer be “generally recognized as safe.”

That means companies would have to prove that such oils are safe to eat, a high hurdle given that scientific literature overwhelmingly shows the contrary. The Institute of Medicine has concluded that there is no safe level for consumption of them, a conclusion that the F.D.A. cited in its reasoning.

So you can get cancer at some statistical significant rate? Die of poisoning? Uh, no:
Quote:
But over the years, scientific evidence has shown they are dangerous because they raise the levels of so-called bad cholesterol and can lower the levels of good cholesterol. In 2003, the F.D.A. required that artificial trans fats be listed on food labels, a shift that prompted many large producers to eliminate them. Two years later, New York City under Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg told restaurants to stop using artificial trans fats in cooking; other places, including California, Cleveland and Philadelphia, followed suit. Many major chains, like McDonald’s, found substitutes and eliminated trans fats.

I've long been suspicious of hydrogenated oils - I think that the process creates a huge mass of odd chemistry. But I've also been suspicious of the war on cholesterol because I'm not convinced we have any clue as to whether it is symptom or cause of the underlying pathology.