A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Davos Forum study on gender equality
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:12 pm 

Big surprise ... it has silly conclusions based on even sillier methodology

Post subject: Re: Davos Forum study on gender equality
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:52 pm 

I remember a something similar before the 1st Gulf War, when some feminist organisation - the NOW maybe - decided that Iraq was a better country than the US because the Iraqi "legislature" had more women members than the US Congress.

I probably mentioned a similar disconnect I encountered back when the AAAS had its annual convention in Denver (2003). I felt obligated to go to the environmental sessions since it was on the RTD's dime. One lady - from Estonia, IIRC - gave a presentation on the state of environmental laws in various countries and concluded that the nation with the best environmental laws was - Uganda. Because environmental protection was at the constitutional level in Uganda but only at the legislative level in all other countries. An incredulous questioner asked if the actual state of the environment in Uganda was better than the US, and she acknowledged that she didn't know.

This inability to distinguish between the nominal and the actual is the root of a lot of problems in the US and elsewhere; the idea that laws prohibiting guns and drugs or abortions or gays will somehow make them disappear, or laws mandating "fairness" will somehow make things fair are typical examples.

Post subject: Re: Davos Forum study on gender equality
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:13 am 

Indeed. Legislate Utopia, and when it fails to appear, start hunting down and shooting the "wreckers."