Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Please tell me that we've reached "Peak Stupid"
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:59 pm 

Because if it gets dumber than this, I may not be able to take it.

Quote:
Parents who read their kids stories about happy, human-like animals like Franklin the Turtle or Arthur at bedtime are exposing their kids to racism, materialism, homophobia and patriarchal norms, according to a paper presented at the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences.

Most animals portrayed in children’s books, songs and on clothing send a bad message, according to academics Nora Timmerman and Julia Ostertag: That animals only exist for human use, that humans are better than animals, that animals don’t have their own stories to tell, that it’s fine to “demean” them by cooing over their cuteness. Perhaps worst of all, they say, animals are anthropomorphized to reinforce “socially dominant norms” like nuclear families and gender stereotypes.

Post subject: Re: Please tell me that we've reached "Peak Stupid"
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:27 pm 

I guess stories like Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer are right out then...

Where do they think bacon and steaks come from?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:01 pm 

LTC8K6 wrote:

Where do they think bacon and steaks come from?

Exploited, murdered animals?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:02 am 

I guess stories like Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer are right out then...

Yeah, when I was in the earlier stages of English classes, the apparently accepted thought was that Mark Twain, especially in Huckleberry Finn, was racist. Apparently, everyone, all through time, has had modern sensibilities, they just blatantly ignored them. :roll:

(BTW, I'm on Facebook, so friend me, already - since it's just us here, the name is Ceridwen Keeley.)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:05 am 

It doesn't sound like the author and her dissertation are necessarily "animal rights" oriented, but more along the lines that the anthropomorphic animals in children's stories do not represent the way she thinks society should be organized - i.e., no female animal head of households, no openly gay animals, etc. The problem is that actual animal societies aren't "politically correct"; just staying with mammals, you have lots of polygamy, single moms, rape, infanticide, incest, etc. It might be interesting to construct a children's book about hyenas - an actual rare matriarchal society among mammals - eating a zebra colt alive as it's in the process of being born; there's a video of that floating around somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:06 am 

Sorry, but "peak stupid" is proving as elusive as other resource limitations such as peak oil & peak food. Just when you think we've hit a limit, they find a new source of stupid.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:05 am 

keep in mind we're talking about kids age 0-4

Quote:
For example, bees buzzing around a hive or ants in an ant farm can teach the importance of community and teamwork without having to be anthropomorphized, she said.

“Billy the Bee doesn’t necessarily project any kind of cultural bias unless we ignore, for example, that worker ants are mostly females and we call them male because we tend to think of workers as male,” she said.

I really don't think this rises to the level of stupid. There's agenda here. There's a doctoral thesis due in .... ?

Quote:
Ms. Timmerman — a University of British Columbia PhD candidate in educational studies focusing on environmentalism — admits she’s no child psychologist, and admits there are probably extremely thin ranks of those fretting about “subliminal” messages in Goodnight Moon or Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed. “I do. But I don’t think most people do,” she said.

Anyway, she'll get her doctorate and eventually gets to write the texts our grand kids are forced to buy to complete their studies.

Quote:
More than 7,000 academics are gathered in Victoria, B.C., this week for the annual Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences

:o

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:28 am 

tralfaz wrote:
Sorry, but "peak stupid" is proving as elusive as other resource limitations such as peak oil & peak food. Just when you think we've hit a limit, they find a new source of stupid.

Stuart Saniford charts world oil production and indeed supply has not peaked though there is a suggestion of a plateau . The reason for two lines is that 'all liquids' includes items with reduced or even no energy content as well as some double counting. Perhaps more importantly, oil remains expensive. http://earlywarn.blogspot.com/2013/06/o ... -flat.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:53 am 

Quote:
For example, bees buzzing around a hive or ants in an ant farm can teach the importance of community and teamwork without having to be anthropomorphized, she said.

“Billy the Bee doesn’t necessarily project any kind of cultural bias unless we ignore, for example, that worker ants are mostly females and we call them male because we tend to think of workers as male,” she said.

Another topic for a children's book; how Billy the Bee's sexual organ explodes during mating. It would be interesting to see the illustrations for that one.And ants in an ant farm could teach the importance of killing everything different from you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:08 pm 

setnahkt wrote:
Another topic for a children's book; how Billy the Bee's sexual organ explodes during mating. It would be interesting to see the illustrations for that one.And ants in an ant farm could teach the importance of killing everything different from you.

^ This. Set, you sometimes display a genius for getting right to the heart of the stupid.