Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Computer Driven Cars
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:28 pm 

What is going to happen in urban centres when pedestrians and cyclists realize the computer driven cars will always yield the right of way?

Post subject: Re: Computer Driven Cars
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:06 am 

Much to be worked out, certainly. I'm more interested in how the driverless cars will screw with my daily driving enjoyment. Seriously. I love to drive on the streets, parking lots, racetracks, wherever. I would not enjoy being a passenger 100% of the time...

BetterOffRacing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:54 pm 

Agreed, much to work out and I'm not especially a fan of the uniformity of it all or even the concept. I like driving and my driver's abstract says I'm pretty good at it (or at least rarely get caught). I think the biggest irritating aspect for me is it's just so much "big brother" dictating what will happen.

I don't even like all of the electronic aspects of modern cars. I like dials and knobs in my car that I can use touch to find and manipulate. Touch screens I find highly irritating and irrational in the sense that any amount of sunlight renders them largely useless until you change that aspect of the car. I'm also quite amazed that regulators have let these things go ahead full bore. Honestly, have to navigate multiple screens to get to the heating/cooling screen isn't a massive distraction versus a knob/lever to adjust the temperature and a switch/dial to set the fan speed?

I very much miss my 1998 Altima because it had an engine I could actually work on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:36 am 

I'm so glad someone else feels the way I do. I like the gadgets like GPS and such, but you really need to set it all up before starting to drive. You can do some functions while in motion, which I think is stupid - takes your attention off the road to read what the screen is prompting - but then, other functions are disabled when in motion. Makes no sense.

I found out that my daughter's recently-made car has no way to check the oil. What? :o You need to go to a shop to have them fix it. I'm not going to get under a car again to tinker, but I can still open the hood and check fluids. Except on these newer cars, I can't. What a waste of time and money! I'm currently without a car. I want one that I can manually dive into, at least for checking fluids. I do like being able to plug things into multiple ports; don't like that ashtrays and lighters have been exorcised. I'd like GPS, but I can always use the phone. Bluetooth, though, yup, will need that.

(BTW, I'm on Facebook, so friend me, already - since it's just us here, the name is Ceridwen Keeley.)