Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is it harder to be skinny nowadays?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:54 pm 

Link

Takes the obligatory shots at chemicals before suggesting it's a problem with our gut biome, which is being altered by a higher-meat diet ... and chemicals.

I am deeply skeptical of much of this.

Post subject: Re: Is it harder to be skinny nowadays?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:46 pm 

Okay, they're talking about food intake and exercise, but are they factoring in all the other things people did back then that you don't see today? I've been thinking about this, given that talk about obesity is all over the place, and I remember walking anywhere from half a mile to a mile to go swimming, to get to school, to visit friends, to pick up odds and ends from the store...

It wasn't just eating and exercising, it was an entire lifestyle based on walking where you needed to go.

(BTW, I'm on Facebook, so friend me, already - since it's just us here, the name is Ceridwen Keeley.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:15 pm 

Uh...

Nobody recalls that they changed the way BMI is measured? 1998 is when it happened.

And exposed to more pesticides? Says who? And by what measure. Most of the newer pesticides that have come on the market in the last twenty years utilize significantly lower rates for application and tend to break down more quickly. That would result in less exposure to the big, bad bogeyman. I'm surprised they didn't invoke "wheat belly" on that.

That aside, when I traveled through Australia I didn't have a car. I bussed major distances and bussed or trained it within town. As we all know, public transit seldom drops you at the door of where you want to be, so you hoof it. I lost probably ten pounds in six months simply because I walked everywhere. So yeah, what Vitugglan said.

Idiocracy: when did it become a documentary?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:23 am 

I love when people talk about how we're exposed to more chemicals and pesticides now than in the 70s and 80s. As Senor Buggo said this statement is absolutely wrong! When we were growing up, we had massive exposures to all sorts of bad chemicals from every quarter -lead in paint, gasoline, and pipes, "bad" phthalates in toys, food containers and wraps, etc, and many other chemicals that have been regulated away or deselected for safer alternatives in the last few decades. And the continued advancement of polymers (almost all of which are inert) has led to even fewer chemical additives in many substances we contact. So I think we can reasonably reject any such notions based on exposures to huge numbers of chemicals.

And Vit brings up the other big change we've undergone - we now tend to drive everywhere. And our kids expect to be driven everywhere. In many cases this is either necessary or the safest choice based on where we live. Moving out of the cities has increased distances to go places dramatically in my case. My youngest's school is 8 miles away and she cannot walk to it. Mine was 1 mile and I walked or biked every day. In high school I had to ride with a friend to school, but we took the city bus to a stop a few blocks away from home and we walked. When we weren't walking we were biking places - even on dangerous roads. I frequently walked or biked to the corner store for bread milk, cigarettes, etc. We don't even have any corner stores now.

And air conditioning. We are climate-controlled in every locale now. Home, school, cars. My kids don't understand why I drive with my windows open all summer long. I shake my head when I see other idiots with their windows up when it's 65 degrees (or convertible tops up when it's a perfect 80 degrees). We are becoming more and more coddled and wussified.

BetterOffRacing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:56 am 

A friend shared a British TV show, and it reminded me of this thread. The show is called, 'Back In Time For Dinner' and shows the eating habits of the British public from 1950, when Britain was still under rationing, through 2000 (or is it the 2000s? I'm only up to the 1970s) when there was plenty of food in the stores. Watching the show, I think Britain was about a decade behind us (at least until the 1970s) in kitchen labor-saving devices if nothing else. Each day is a new year, with whatever was introduced that year being introduced into the family's kitchen - they get extra rations on Day 1953 (iirc) for the queen's coronation, for instance.

It's about Britain, so I don't know how much it reflects either the US or Canada. It's pretty good for an overall look at society in general and the effects of all this stuff on people's perceptions and satisfaction. Anyway, if anyone's interested, the first hour, covering the 1950s, is here: link.

(BTW, I'm on Facebook, so friend me, already - since it's just us here, the name is Ceridwen Keeley.)