Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: More colony collapse disorder
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:25 am 

LaneH wrote:

Another - get over it. It is done. It was done in the mid 18th century and is still not being 'fixed' as you wish.

Unclear. My Lanenglish is low ebb; not drinking enuff.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:59 am 

Buggo, I got three beers in me and it didn't help with translation. I got nuttin' out of that. :?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:48 am 
Site Admin

I am not sure I do, either. I think I had just come in from digging in the yard, so I'll blame the sun and I had words in my head that didn't get turned into dead electrons. :o

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:48 pm 

LaneH wrote:
I am not sure I do, either. I think I had just come in from digging in the yard, so I'll blame the sun and I had words in my head that didn't get turned into dead electrons. :o

ROFL :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:37 pm 

Science 5 February 2016
Insights
The mite that jumped, the bee that traveled, and the disease that followed
Research
Deformed wing virus is a recent global epidemic in honeybees driven by Varroa mites
The authors trace the complicated path of Deformed Wing Virus (DWV) in bees, which is “clearly linked to colony collapse”. Works like this:
  • The Asian honeybee Apis cerana was host to a parasitic mite, Varroa jacobsoni.
  • DWV, which has been know since about 1600 or so, was associated with European honeybees (Apis mellifera) but wasn’t spread by mites (the article doesn’t mention how it was spread but just notes it was not “associated” with mite infestations).
  • European honeybee colonies were brought to Southeast Asia, where they came into contact with Asian honeybees
  • Varroa jacobsoni (from Asian honeybees) evolved into Varroa destructor, which was a haplotype that could live and reproduce on Apis mellifera.
  • Varroa destructor developed the ability to transmit DWV (or maybe DWV developed the ability to use V. destructor as a vector). The strains of DWV transmitted by V. destructor are different from the original DWV.
  • DWV has now apparently adapted to a number of other vectors, including other parasitic mites of genus Tropilaelaps, a hive beetle, bumblebees, and flowers.
  • Those areas that don’t have DWV infections (Australia and some Hawaiian islands) have restrictions on live honeybee imports and/or little trade involving bee colonies.
  • Interestingly, the “Africanized” bee hybrid, which was supposed to wreak death and destruction as it migrated north from South America, seems to have considerable innate resistance to DWV

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:25 pm 

Hey, whatever happened to the killer bees? Weren't they suppose to have wreaked havoc here .... some time ago?