Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: FDA control over smokers -- e-cigarettes kill...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:27 pm 

Science 16 January 2015
News
Call for e-cigarette regulation
The American Society of Clinical Oncology and the American Association for Cancer Research have issued a joint statement calling for Federal regulation of e-cigarettes. The groups noted that "e-cigarettes may reduce smoking rates and attendant adverse health risks" but that their actual effects are unclear in the absence of research and regulation.

Science 23 January 2015
Insights
Smoke and fire over e-cigarettes
Leaked WHO documents from a conference in October 2014 suggested WHO would call on nations to treat e-cigarettes the same as tobacco cigarettes. In response 53 researchers coauthored a letter to WHO to remain open to the idea that e-cigarettes are a low-risk alternative. WHO doubled down, replying to the letter by saying e-cigarettes were a "Trojan horse" promoting an industry only interested in increasing profits through "predatory" practices. The leaked documents turned out to be correct and WHO called on countries to prohibit e-cigarettes and ban advertising.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:45 pm 

Nature 16 July 2015
News in focus
Anti-vaping bill goes up in smoke
A bill to extend California's smoking ban to e-cigarettes was withdrawn by the author because it had been amended to the point it was "meaningless". Lobbying by the e-cigarette industry was blamed, with the claim that the industry is acquiring the kind of influence the conventional tobacco industry used to have.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:23 pm 

Reuters: E-Cigarettes Are 95% Less Harmful Than Tobacco: UK Study - link.

But, California. Just blame Big Corp.

(BTW, I'm on Facebook, so friend me, already - since it's just us here, the name is Ceridwen Keeley.)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:46 pm 

Science 13 May 2016
News
FDA cracks down on e-cigarettes
The new rule will require manufacturers to seek pre-market approval, ban sales to people under 18, and require warning labels that nicotine is addictive.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:25 pm 

As it stands now, unless Congress stops the regs, it will put the e-cig business out of business. Only those devices available in 2007, or earlier, will be allowed to be marketed. And those weren't very good. Or, the newer devices will have to be tested to meet FDA approval. The test is expected to cost a minimum of $1,000,000 per device. Most companies offer more than one device. This also applies to the liquid that is used. This is what will really hurt the mom and pop businesses that mix their own liquids. What's really silly is if the business makes a liquid that contains 2.4% nicotine, and the same liquid with different per-centages of nicotine, each will have to be tested, no matter it's the same liquid, with the only difference being nicotine content. Then there's the matter of the tanks, cartomizers, atomizers that hold the liquid. They will have to be tested as well. There's some debate on whether batteries will have to be tested, as these same type batteries are used in cell phones, cameras, and other consumer goods. A consortium of, I think, eight of the largest manufacturers of devices have filed, or are getting ready to file, a lawsuit against these regs. As it stands, only the big cigarette companies will have the money for the tests, and each only offers one or two devices that are sub-par compared to what else is on the market.

You can find more info and opinion here: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/fda-deeming-regulation-proposals.556080/

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:12 am 

Yeah, the husband told me I'd better stock up on my e-stuff before the regs come into play. My thought is, so what happens when I eventually run out? If these regulations happen and aren't amended in some way before being foisted on the public, I'll run out sooner or later, so why stock up? (I'm still more cigarettes than e-cigs, but I do find a lot of use for the e-cigs.)

(BTW, I'm on Facebook, so friend me, already - since it's just us here, the name is Ceridwen Keeley.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:53 pm 

Scientific American August 2016
Forum
The Lesser Evil of E-Cigarettes
The editorial author, Thomas Hartung, is a professor at Johns Hopkins; his basic contention is yes, e-cigarettes are probably harmful but they are so much less harmful than conventional tobacco products that they should not be as heavily regulated.