Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fracking to Stop Climate Change...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:34 pm 

By injecting CO2 into basalt:
http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/news-events/turning-co2-stone-0

This is a really neat idea...I just enjoy the irony that environmentalists may have to embrace the notion that injecting chemical laden water at high pressure to fracture rock might actually be ok.

Quote:
They used CO2 captured at the power plant, and mixed it with water and hydrogen sulfide, creating soda-like carbonation, then injected the mixture into porous basalt rocks 400 to 800 meters underground. Basalt, which is created as lava cools, contains calcium, iron, and magnesium, which react naturally with CO2 to form solid carbonate minerals.

I wouldn't think basalt to be very porous, but I guess it could be...just not very permeable.

Post subject: Re: Fracking to Stop Climate Change...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:30 pm 

barisax wrote:
By injecting CO2 into basalt:
http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/news-events/turning-co2-stone-0

This is a really neat idea...I just enjoy the irony that environmentalists may have to embrace the notion that injecting chemical laden water at high pressure to fracture rock might actually be ok.

Quote:
They used CO2 captured at the power plant, and mixed it with water and hydrogen sulfide, creating soda-like carbonation, then injected the mixture into porous basalt rocks 400 to 800 meters underground. Basalt, which is created as lava cools, contains calcium, iron, and magnesium, which react naturally with CO2 to form solid carbonate minerals.

I wouldn't think basalt to be very porous, but I guess it could be...just not very permeable.

Massive basalt formations tend to be composed of many thin flows separated by clinker. The latter is both porous and permeable and is a significant aquifer in places like Hawaii.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:02 pm 

Ah so.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:19 pm 

Also, the many buried lava tubes make groundwater simulation for Hawaii very challenging.

(My only professional qualification in geology is having certified back in '97 or so in groundwater modeling with USGS.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:50 pm 

Corrosion would be a bit of an issue though, between the carbonic acid and H2S.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:46 pm 

barisax wrote:
Corrosion would be a bit of an issue though, between the carbonic acid and H2S.

I would think so. There may be some kind of weathering steel that is resistant to both, but I'm not metallurgist enough to know how expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:20 pm 

Typically standard carbon steel is used in sour applications. Typical alloys resistant to corrosion from salts and such are sometimes worse than useless in H2S due to embrittlement. I think there are some high strength alloys suitable for H2S...but they are very expensive. Onshore, it's cheaper to go with carbon steel, and plan for a little shorter life and more inspections. And rigorous leak detection capability.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:22 pm 

Yeah, sometimes cost effectiveness is replacing the cheap unit more frequently.

Speaking of which, we had to replace our boiler Friday. The pilot went out Thursday night; I relit; it went out again twenty minutes later; I could not relight it again. Bad thermocouple, grumble grumble. The plumber came the next day and told us he was "deeming our boiler unsafe." (I didn't know plumbers did that.) It apparently was leaking carbon monoxide badly and to the point of being a fire hazard. I didn't question too closely because we'd been told by different plumbers on other occasions that the thing was very old and would have to be replaced soon.

$7000. Though the new one seems to be working much better -- almost certainly more energy-efficient. Well, there goes the money we were going to use to remodel the bathroom. It's starting to look like the only way I'll be able to afford that is to do it myself. Not a thought I relish. (Minimum repair: replace the Jacuzzi tub, which was so old we could not get replacement valves for it when the old ones broke down.)