Debunkers dot Org

A Tradition of Looking Behind the Curtain
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thanks to El Buggo, I haven't forgotten
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:09 pm 

Hello all. It is comforting to know you are still here. I've long since disconnected myself from the "social" side of the internet, but of course I look back to my time on this board with great fondness, and was a little panicked when I couldn't immediately find the board. I was in my early 30's back then, so now I imagine some of yoose guys must really be looking for deals on cheap plots by now! :lol:

Here's a couple of snaps to let you know, even though I have quit science and quit the internet for the most part, I haven't forgotten the golden era. Do you remember these, El Buggo? (El Buggo was Bill's name for you, did I read a ways back that Bill had moved on?) You sent them to me and I was planning on making them with my son, but that did not come about. He's becoming an engineer now, but kids today don't know hands on, just digital nonsense! (get off my lawn!)

Now I've pulled them down from the shelf and may do them justice. i just thought you might like to know. . . I hope you and your family are well - that goes for all of you guys, including the Canuck.

Cheers.

Rob

Attachments:
El Buggo's models.jpg
El Buggo's models.jpg [ 324.7 | Viewed 7 times ]
El Buggo's models-2.jpg
El Buggo's models-2.jpg [ 433.94 | Viewed 8 times ]

Post subject: Re: Thanks to El Buggo, I haven't forgotten
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:59 am 

Hi Rob,

First: :o :)

That out of the way, I do indeed remember these and with great fondness. I believe I sent a model or two to Lane as well. All I wanted was to find a good home for them and it appears to be a success.

I had an odd phase about five years ago when I found Tamiya military models to be stupidly cheap on eBay and I bought not only everything I owned as a child but a bunch I wanted but never owned at the time. So I probably now have fifty models sitting unbuilt in my basement waiting for retirement. Tamiya is adequate quality for my mind, I expect purists would suggest other brands (ex. Dragon) are better and they may well be correct but they don't fit the nostalgia factor for me.

El Buggo was indeed Bill's name, my earliest incarnation was bugman. Bill has recently fallen ill and to be honest I'm not sure he's still with us.

It's been a remarkable history here and while it's not what it was in its heyday I made some significant friends here and have had the good fortune to have met many of them in person. I do hope that can be repeated in the future and I'll be in Denver in early November knowing a couple of people are in that vicinity. FWIW my daughter was born shortly after I started hanging about the early version of this site when it was associated with JunkScience.com. She's now a senior in high school. Don't blink.

All the best to you as well good sir.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:15 pm 

Good to hear from both of you.

I have no idea how Bil is doing. Not at all well last time we communicated, some months ago now. He may well have passed on by now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:05 am 

Bill Holt Obit. https://www.currentobituary.com/obit/208281

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:23 am 

Sad news. I had mostly seen Bill on Facebook recently. I will miss him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:32 am 

I'm so sorry to read this. :cry:

(BTW, I'm on Facebook, so friend me, already - since it's just us here, the name is Ceridwen Keeley.)